Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 6 - what not to say


After posting on facebook I was deleted as a friend but not before he updated his status to ,"enough of this depressive shit". So many people say "just call me when you need me." and then they dissapear. "I know how you feel". A family member said :"God took him to teach you a lesson","he would have suffered more if he had been diagnosed early, this is for the best" how can your baby dying be for the best?Let me take your children away from you and tell you the same thing?..."are you over it yet",NO, I did not catch a cold...My son died of cancer.... "it was all part of the plan",well, phew, doesnt that just make it all ok then! NOT!Probably the most insensitive comment I recieved was, "its not like he was a real baby, if he had been older it would have been worse". Then I had an insurance saleswoman call me a few days before his anniversary trying to sell me a "cancer benefit" on a life policy, because "you didnt have it and your child died, but your living children can benefit from it". I also reel when I talk about his ashes and people say "they just collect the dust off the floor, its probably not even really him". I have had people say , "I know how you feel, I lost my dad, dog, cat, mouse, rat etc". I know it all comes from a place of love, but its really hard to stop the triggers, and the stream of emotions that ignite with just a few thoughless words.. I think the worst of all is the silence. When it makes people to uncomfortable to talk about, so they talk about everything else except Joaquim............




No comments: